Thursday, June 13, 2013

Deaf Irish Chef

One of my favorite TV shows is Chopped on Food Network.  It's usually on when all of the other stations are showing police, medical or generally more violent shows.  I prefer to watch Chopped at the end of the night maybe hoping I will have some sweet, creative dreams at night!

The concept of the show is that you are give a basket of ingredients in three rounds and you have to create an appetizer, entree and dessert based on the ingredients provided - they do have strange ingredients!  One episode had the contestants create a dessert using circus peanuts -  the chefs were mortified!  Another episode had them create an entree with canned ham - the chefs were in shock and didn't know what to do!

A couple of weeks ago, a contestant on the show was deaf - his name is Kurt Ramborger.  My initial thoughts was wow - what a profession to be deaf!  There is so much communication needed in the kitchen from chef to chef and from wait staff to chef.  I remember working as a waitress and all we did was yell!  It's such a stressful profession so maybe with less yelling there is a calmer kitchen environment and less stress - who knows.

I thought, though, that I would share Kurt's story here to gain a little insight on how this incredible man gets it done!  Click on the link below-


iDeafNews


Great job Kurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment